Tinmans Running Calculator

A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

ZachCC

Tinmans Running Calculator

Post by ZachCC » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:52 pm

What does AP stand for on Tinmans Running Calculator?

I was trying to have my son do a CV workout, but he was too fast, his times were closer to AP times on chart. he was running 800 on w/200 jog, he just ran a 3200 n 10:35, so we were shooting for 2:50, but avg 2:40. I do think he is in a little better shape than 10:35, he did negative split the 3200, but worried he was too fast yesterday, he looked pretty good, but his 3rd was way too fast 2:35, so I made him run 2:50 on 4th, he was not allowed to pass me, then on 5th he was 2:42. he is freshman, so still learning pacing, thinking he might slow it down if we were doing 1000's. I stopped him and then did 4x200 on/off at about current 1600 pace, with last one goal 1600 pace. I am struggling getting him and his teammates to slow down on workouts, I am trying to get them to understand value of more work at a controlled pace, instead of a few fast reps.

thanks for listening

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tinmans Running Calculator

Post by Tinman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 pm

AP = Aerobic Power, which is 95% of V.O2 max in my calculator (http://www.runningprs.com/calculator.html).

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Find something that they hate doing (ie - have them wash your car, mow your lawn, shovel your driveway, etc...) and if they run to fast then make them do these things.  After the first time they will slow down.  The problem with intervals is most people run them to fast as the thought is the harder I run the workout will be more productive.  It is hard to get people to buy into this but once they experience it then it becomes easier.  The only way you are going to change the mindset is to penalize them when they don't follow direction.  It won't take long to get them in line.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Fast twitchy guys like myself and perhaps your son just like to run fast.  Let us off the leash and we'll sprint to exhaustion.  It's hard sometimes to run a controlled pace.  I was doing 1000m CV intervals today (4 x 1000m) and by rep #3 the pace hit 5km race pace and was headed to 3km pace.  I had to really make an effort to slow down as the legs were dying to let loose, in spite of a gym workout earlier in the day and a tough week of mileage.   

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Zach, maybe he needs a season or two with the sprinters running the 200 and 400m?  Nothing wrong with developing speed early in your running career. 

ZachCC

Post by ZachCC » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks everyone for input, I am starting to think best way to deal with pace issues is to give kids mile repeats at tempo with maybe a 400 jog between . Younger athletes are usually more scared of longer distances, think I might be able to slow them down a bit. Maybe after a few weeks can move back to cv reps .

kevinm

Post by kevinm » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:35 pm

I think the mile reps is a good idea. Another thought, is to have them run a relatively long run for there warm up before the CV's. If they usually run 1 mile warm up, instead have them run 3-4 miles. My experience has been the more miles I run in a given week, the less likely I am to want to run to fast on my hard days. You could also have them run a long run the day before.

Kevin