Running Times Article - Chris Derrick

A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

BoilerTom90

Running Times Article - Chris Derrick

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Found a few nuggets  in here worth highlighting:

http://www.runnersworld.com/high-school ... is-derrick

Favorite Workout: Under the tutelage of Coach Paul Vandersteen, the Neuqua Valley High School cross country team didn’t mess around during the summer. Derrick’s favorite summer workout was “repeat 1200s on the grass with one minute of rest.” They would do 8–10 of them, all at tempo pace. That meant 3:55-4:00 minutes (or 5:15 mile pace) for Derrick his senior year.

Doesn't this intensity and recovery remind you a bit of Tinman's approach? 

Advice To High School Runners: “My coach [Paul Vandersteen] always talked about the two keys being moderation and consistency. Basically just trying to put in as many good days as you can without trying to kill it in practice or anything like that and trying to do it as much as you can over a period of weeks, months, years.”

Great advice from his coach. It's no wonder NV HS is regularly competing for the state XC title in Illinois.

dkggpeters

Re: Running Times Article - Chris Derrick

Post by dkggpeters » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:28 pm

I am hearing this more and more from elite athletes that going to the well in training is not the way to train.  They did it for years and come back and say if they could do it all over again that they wouldn't have trained so hard.  Ryan Lochte made a comment that stuck with me as he was supposed to dominate at the Olympics as he trained super hard since the last Olympics, yet he only did so so.  He came out and stated afterwards that he trained way to hard and shouldn't have.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 pm

My alumni friends from the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, who attended the alumni-intra-squad cross country race and after-party, said the Allan Webb attended with his wife Julia, who graduated from UWL and ran on the teams. Allan talked for hours to people at the after-party, since so many people wanted to talk to him. My friends say that he talked about the ups and downs of his running career, and he mentioned what he learned. For one thing, the extremes don't work well for long. He recently went up to 100 miles per week under Jerry Schumaker and that has not worked so well. He's decided the around 75 miles per week works for him, not the 50-60 that he ran in high school and not the 100 per week under Schumaker. As I told one promising collegiate runner, whom I coached in high school successfully, that with Allan's speed (obvious fast twitch fiber/ type II), he needs to have enough distance for endurance but not so much that it flattens his speed. So, 75 miles is about right for a runner with his composition. Wise choice, Allan! It's good that he's figured that out now because he's on the far side of his physical prime. Hopefully, he'll run well over a variety of distances, when he dials into what his muscle fiber's need. A key will be running enough CV training, along with some short speed, to make his stamina and strength high, so that his natural speed will work well.

By the way, it's my long-standing opinion that one should train one's body first and to the event second. What thoughts come to your mind?
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Just to clarify on Lochte...his pool program was fine; he got in trouble by adding a bunch of ancillary nonsense outside the pool thinking it would translate physically and into mental toughness (tire flips in his driveway, sledgehammers, keg tosses, etc...all of which may have their place for certain athletes but not for someone already training at his high workload).  He ended up flat at the Olympics and unable to exploit the fitness that helped him dominate the previous World Championships and Olympic Trials.  But ultimately still the same mental process that leads to overreaching, whether in specific event training or in supplementary activity. 

Webb ran some excellent distance performances without getting into super high mileage...2nd at footlocker behind Ritz (ahead of Hall), 11th as a freshman in NCAA XC (10k XC distance...strong run for a freshman miler), 27-low on the track for 10000m as a pro.  And he did get the AR and dominate Trials one year; just never had the consistency to meet his potential on the biggest stage (the Olympic games).  I think when the mental demons crept in and he lost his teenage momentum, he started grasping for solutions and trying stuff like 100mile weeks, bouncing between different coaches and training bases, in a desperate hope that something new would turn his fortunes around. 

Its almost like his mind would never let him find that middle ground...U Mich didn't work out so go back home to train again and re-live high school...that recaptured some magic, but when that runs stale, go train like a marathoner in Oregon with Nike.  He didn't experience "failure" in his athletic career until freshman year in college, and like many gifted young athletes had trouble dealing with it. 
Last edited by ap4305 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.