What kind of shoes everyone trains in?

A place for participants to post topics about anything including topics not related to running.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Trackrunner220

Post by Trackrunner220 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:09 pm

I am thinking of buying Asics Ds because I heard they are lightweight enough for fast runs, and cushioned enough for distance runs..9.9 oz

I normally train in asics 2140 but recently used asics kayanos because of my ankle injury.

I heard from someone thats asics are the best shoes to train and nike best to race...of course thats opinion.

what does everyone else use?

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Daily trainers:
-Asics 2140
-Under Armour Cartilage...No I haven't lost my mind by wearing Under Armour. I found that most trainers (including Asics) have gotten wider to accomodate the fatness of Americans. As a result, "standard" width for most shoes feels wide. The Under Armours give a nice snug fit in the midfoot and prevents my feet from sliding around in the shoe laterally.

Fast trainers:
-Asics DS trainer. My favorite all around shoe, but I don't think I would handle these on a daily basis. However, they do allow me to run decent mileage on hard workout days without changing shoes

Racers:
-Nike Lunar Racer. Got this shoe this spring as a marathon shoe. It is incredibly lightweight (~5.5 oz) yet well cushioned.
-Asics Hyperspeed. I don't wear these anymore, but I still like them. The reason I gave them up was because the Nike's seemed a better choice for the marathon. If I was focusing on 5k-half marathon I might still wear these.

D_Bean

Post by D_Bean » Fri May 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Training Shoes
1) Asics 1100 series
I've always loved this particular line of shoes, as I've warn them off and on for about 4-5 years now. They provide good support, but the main thing I like is how many miles I can get out of them.
2) Nike Zoom Structure Triax +11
These are the shoes the school issued, and I've worn a few pairs and feel like they're a pretty good shoe. I don't think they hold up as long as my Asics, but I do like the way the waffle pattern cushion feels under the forefoot.
3) Brooks Summon
I bought a pair from a sporting goods store just to try a pair of Brooks because I have a few older runner friends who work for the company and I really liked the shoe. It seemed like a light-weight version of the Asics, but it was definitely more of a neutral shoe. They held up really well, too.

Racing Shoes
1) Asics Gel Hyperspeed 2
These are really the only pair of racing flats I've worn. After I got my first pair, I felt like they worked well for what I was looking for and I've used them since. They didn't put me on my toes too much, they were well-cushioned yet lightweight, and they held up well.

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Sat May 23, 2009 8:45 am

Drew,

Curious, have you run in any of the Asics DS Trainers? If so, I was wondering how they compared to the 1100 models. I believe Mathwiz likes them too.

The new DS's lack just a tad on the cushioning side for me.

D_Bean

Post by D_Bean » Mon May 25, 2009 11:07 am

Tex, I've never tried the DS trainers, but I have a friend who has a pair. From what I can tell just looking, they do seem to sacrifice a little cushioning for a lighter weight; but, like I said, I don't have any personal experience with them. My general rule of thumb is go with what's comfortable, and what's cheap. I started wearing the 1100 series in High School, and every few months they'll have old models on sale for $49.99 on eastbay lol

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Mon May 25, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I am curious, how much do you weigh ? I'm just trying to get a relative comparison for cushioning/weight.

I had tried the 2140s and they just did not work for me.

Right now, and the rest of the year, unfortunately, I am having to do all of my running including CV, tempo, strides, etc on hard surfaces so I'm trying to find the right fit of weight/fit/cushioning/toe-off, etc.

I might just give the 1100s a try soon.

retread

Post by retread » Mon May 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Nike Lunar Trainer has as good of cushioning as you will find on any shoe, and at 8.9 oz is lighter than the DS Trainer. They are so cushy they make concrete feel like a modern synthetic track. However, I'd be sure to try them on first before purchasing. The toe box is rather shallow, which can be a problem for some. I'm 5' 9" 143 lbs (138 last year when in better shape).
Last edited by retread on Mon May 25, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Wed May 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Thank you as well.

I think Tom recommended the Lunar Trainers also

Kevin3310

Post by Kevin3310 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:37 am

[QUOTE=D_Bean;7743]Training Shoes

Racing Shoes
1) Asics Gel Hyperspeed 2
These are really the only pair of racing flats I've worn. After I got my first pair, I felt like they worked well for what I was looking for and I've used them since. They didn't put me on my toes too much, they were well-cushioned yet lightweight, and they held up well.[/QUOTE]

hey drew bean wat foot type do u have? do u have low arch/ flat feet like me? im wondering because i use the asic 1130 and am wondering if the gel hyperspeed 2 is a fit for me for next xc season.