August 24 Daily

A place for those of us over 40 to share their thoughts about running, racing or just life in general, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

OstranderRunner

August 24 Daily

Post by OstranderRunner » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:22 am

Ran early today (5:30 am) to try and beat the heat of the day. Clear morning, but high humidity. Temperature was in the low 70's.

Ran an easy 5.1 miles around the country roads; pace was 6:50.

Legs felt good once they woke up.

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

August 24 Daily

Post by Ron » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:32 am

75 degrees and a bit less humid. 10 miles easy in 1:08:40 (6:52).

Getting ready to make the 4 hour ride to Flint MI for The Crim this morning, leaving Cleveland around noon.

Good runs to all!
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in AMP-HTML & Responsive Website Technologies

Twocat

August 24 Daily

Post by Twocat » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:45 am

retread I promise to post after you tomorrow seeing as how I ran a big zero miles today (although at a really quick pace!) seeing as it is my day off prior to tomorrow's race. Of course it has been cool and cloudy all week and promises to be a scorcher for the race. My DW thinks that is to my relative advantage. Here is hoping she is right!

ksrunr

August 24 Daily

Post by ksrunr » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:05 am

Good runs OR and Ron. Your "easy" miles are just a bit slower than my race pace. :) Good luck tomorrow twocat.

10 miles this a.m. at 8:14 avg pace in 80 degrees and 90% humidity and absolutely no wind to cool. Goal was to run controlled and not be exhausted at the end after yesterdays heat. Fastest 7:57 and slowest 8:20 and the terrain was rolling to hilly.

Good runs to the rest of ya
ksrunr

MaineRunner2001

August 24 Daily

Post by MaineRunner2001 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:58 am

I plan to do four miles easy after work with 8 X 100M striders.

Yesterday I ran four miles over trails. Three weeks ago I got a Garmin Forerunner 305. It is big fun to down load trail runs onto satellite maps.

Today I did my weekly bike commute to work - 11.59 miles one way. Will have the same ride home after work.

It has been cool the last few days in Maine, but I think the heat everyone has been dealing with is arriving here today. Have a good race Ron!

Livin' the dream

August 24 Daily

Post by Livin' the dream » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:56 am

17 miles at ~7:45 pace over hilly trails that were wet and muddy in places. Warm (~75 degrees) but not as humid. Felt bad the last 2-3 miles.

Still trying to talk myself into a fall marathon...this wasn't very encouraging. I'm not convinced yet that I want to do one--I'll give these longer runs a few more shots and see how it goes.

Ron, good luck at Crim!

rocknrollrunner

August 24 Daily

Post by rocknrollrunner » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:22 pm

6 miles easy with 8 x 20 seconds at 2-mile race effort. Very humid today. Hopefully it will be better on the weekend as I'm running long tomorrow. Yesterday I did 8 miles (4 in the morning and 4 after work).

Good luck Ron!!!

Runninglate

August 24 Daily

Post by Runninglate » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:38 pm

Only two painful miles for me today:( . Second run in the last two weeks due to hip injury :( :( . Still hopeful for Chicago but if I don't get better soon it will be over before it starts. Finished first week of therapy, no improvement yet.
Salvaged the day with a 20 mile bike ride though. At least I can still do that to keep in some sort of shape.:)

retread

August 24 Daily

Post by retread » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:11 pm

same as yesterday for me - 7 easy miles on the grass 8:41 pace

Good luck in your races, Ron and Twocat.

Bummer on the hip, Runninglate. I think Joanie rode the stationary bike before she won the gold. Hopefully you'll have a quick turnaround

tigger

August 24 Daily

Post by tigger » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:50 pm

AM - 5.1 hilly miles at an easy pace. It felt OK until the final mile or so, where my legs just seemed to disappear on me.

PM - 6 miles on a track, with 3 at threshold pace (8:30) sandwiched between a warm up and cool down.

My daughter ran on the track with me without any pain from her bone strain. She will race on Sunday, but only to get a sense of her fitness before XC season begins next week.

Tomorrow I plan to go 14 or so, and then start my taper for Sunday's 5k race! Good racing to those who are toeing the line this weekend.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

August 24 Daily

Post by Tinman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:05 pm

6 miles on rolling trails - most of it at a Long Tempo effort.

Sweating like a madman! Geesh!

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com