August 28 daily thread

A place for those of us over 40 to share their thoughts about running, racing or just life in general, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

MaineRunner2001

August 28 daily thread

Post by MaineRunner2001 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:35 pm

Plan to do five easy after work.

I have decided to take a pair of sneakers I bought on August 7 back to Olympia Sports and see if I can get partial credit on a new pair. I have bought sneakers from them for 6+ years, and this is the first pair that did not last more than three - four months (400+ miles). My legs are acting like the sneakers are shot ???

Also - Friday is my high school son's first XC meet of the season!

Good runs all

Livin' the dream

August 28 daily thread

Post by Livin' the dream » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Quiet day here today. Ran a good CV workout this morning. 5*1000 (~3:37each) with 200M jog rest interval. 9 miles total.

Had a run in with a dog that chased me and I think I scared some kids during the incident. Here's a rough transcript:

Me (addressed to lone adult in the group of kids waiting for the bus with the dog): "You should keep your dog on a leash for his safety. I may have to protect myself and I don't want to hurt it"

Lady: "It's not my dog"
Me: "Well, whose dog is it?"
Lady (pointing to young children): "It's theirs" (Nothing like passing the buck to 7 year olds)
Me (addressed to kids): "Keep that dog on a leash. If he comes after me I'm going to have to kick him"

I didn't yell but I feel a little bad directing it at the kids. So, now I'm no longer the happy-go-lucky-crazy-runner guy. I'm the mean old guy who's going to hurt some kids' dog. Is it really so hard to keep dogs on a leash?

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

August 28 daily thread

Post by Ron » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:28 am

What a terrible run...I ended up in the worst part a Saginaw, MI. Doors and windows must be optional on the houses around there.

Looking at the map, it looked like I could run out of it in about a mile as I came to a river, and a parkway. Well the parkway wasn't much better so I turned at 2.5 miles and just prayed I'd make it back with out any trouble.

In hind sight, it was probably a bad idea to be running around there with a fancy Garmin watch on my wrist and a Ipod on my hip. I will not run there again.

5 miles altogether in 36:00 (7:12)
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in AMP-HTML & Responsive Website Technologies

ksrunr

August 28 daily thread

Post by ksrunr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:08 am

late post for me. 4 miles easy on the hills with the wife last night and then a 5 mile bike time trial. 10 secs faster than last week and avg. over 23 mph. It was a good workout.

Careful where you run! (Or run really fast)
ksrunr