Thursday, September 13th Daily

A place for those of us over 40 to share their thoughts about running, racing or just life in general, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

OstranderRunner

Post by OstranderRunner » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:41 pm

It is another beautiful day in central Ohio. The temperature was in the mid-60's with a little wind and sunny. I wanted to run an easy 8 miles, but ended up running the loop very strong. I covered the 8 miles in 6:32 pace. I am taking the day off from work tomorrow and will force myself to get an easy 6+ mile run in around a 7-minute pace.

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ron » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Oh Man could I get used to this! Mid 40's this morning with brilliant sunshine in NE Ohio. 10.5 easy miles in 1:14:35 (7:06).

I am really starting to feel refreshed again. Not sure if it's the reduced mileage, or just the cooler temps but either way I'll take it!

With a bit more than two weeks to go till the Akron Marathon, I need to just concentrate on maintaining my current fitness, and staying fresh. I can not go into the race feeling beat up like I did at the beginning of this week.

Good runs all!
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in AMP-HTML & Responsive Website Technologies

rocknrollrunner

Post by rocknrollrunner » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:03 pm

Agreed on the weather! Did an easy 6 mile recovery today and felt great. Have a 15 miler planned for Saturday and the forecast looks perfect. I love running in the fall! Good runs to all.

ksrunr

Post by ksrunr » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:27 pm

My one day reprieve from the humidity and heat is over sadly. A drippy 5.75 this morning @ 7:38 pace. Tomorrow plans include a 13 miler w/10 around 8:15 and 3 around 7:45-8:00.

send some cool this way

ksrunr

Livin' the dream

Post by Livin' the dream » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:45 pm

Let me pile on with the cool weather talk. Brrrr, it was actually a bit chilly when I started out.

10 miles total with a 5* 1 mile workout at avg of 6:00 pace with 2 min jog rest. Felt OK but not great. This is the same pace I ran 5*1000 in early August with the same amount of rest. So, it seems like my fitness is better but I haven't seen a huge change in race times yet.
Last edited by Livin' the dream on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigger

Post by tigger » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:58 pm

Cooler weather makes all the difference for me. I hate running if it's over 20C, and looking back on my long I can see only 6 or seven days this year at that temp, and only one (Aug 3) where it was over (23C) that temp.

Today was a great day here in the mountains. Fog was rolling in off the reach as I took off down the road and I had to run through it several times during my run. Rt groin was fine for the first half of the run but began to bother me over the second half. The schedule was 9 miles but I did 10.1 miles over severe hills in 1:39. On the low ground I could see evidence of frost, but the high ground had temps closer to 5C.

Still in shorts, but not for long at this rate! On the way back I was in fog for about the last 2 miles. As I rounded the final corner towards my vehicle I spotted a big black bear on the edge of the road about 20 feet from me and maybe 50 from my truck. I yelled and he took off over a bank, but I was as surprised as he was due to the fog.

Tomorrow is a scheduled day off but I think I'll do 3 or 4 miles at threshold just to keep my speed up. That's the fastest work I intend to do for the next 6 months.

Train4ny

Post by Train4ny » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:35 pm

Man, I'm glad for you guys that are training in such cool weather, but I'm jealous. Then, I got to thinking about what it was going to be like here in hopefully just a few weeks and what it will probably be like for you guys this winter, and I guess things even out. It's the reason I didn't move to Colorado last year: The Cold Winters.

I ran about fourteen in all on Thursday, 5.5 with my guys mixing in some 1 minute race pace (theirs), then I did repeats of 2k, 1800 m, 1600 m, 1200 m, 800 m, 400 m, all at 6 to 6:10 pace, and 4 more 200's at 42 with one of my young runners who came later for some running. 87 degrees. Not pushing but feeling a bit sluggish.

I really enjoy reading what you folks are doing.