Wednesday, September 26 Daily

A place for those of us over 40 to share their thoughts about running, racing or just life in general, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ron » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:56 am

This morning was my last speed work prior to Saturday's Marathon.

8 miles all together in 53:55 (6:38).

Brunswick High School Track:
-> 2 mile warm up
-> 3 x (1-mile @ HMP w/3:00 jog) (5:40, 5:39, 5:40)
-> 2 mile cool down

It was quite warm, cloudy and a bit rainy at times, but the workout went pretty well just the same.

I am really going to try to take tomorrow off, and then run very short on Friday.

Good runs all!
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in AMP-HTML & Responsive Website Technologies

OstranderRunner

Post by OstranderRunner » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:40 pm

I ran in a local metropark this afternoon. The day is cloudy, but humid. I ran 8.8 miles in 6:40 pace. Calves were a little tight at the beginning of the run, but loosened up.

ksrunr

Post by ksrunr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:47 pm

Afternoon guys,
Looks like you had good quality runs. Monday ran 6 mile progression beginning at 9:30 pace and finished at 6:30 pace. Monday night added 9 miles at 7:52 avg @ 134 ahr. My mhr is approx 172. So I ran 30 secs over my target marathon pace @ 78% h.r. I think pace and h.r. will drop appreciably when temps and humidity drop. 6 miles ez this morning under the biggest moon I've seen in years.

Tomorrow I imbed 2 X 1.5 LT miles in a 6-7 mile run. I race at 6:00 for 5K and my last half was 1:31:00. I'm thinking LT should be about 6:40-50 per mile. I'd like your comments.

ksrunr

OstranderRunner

Post by OstranderRunner » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:31 pm

KS,

I utilize the Daniel's running formula as a guide for my workouts. After analyzing you half time and review Daniel's tables, 6:40-6:50 is good. According to the table, your mile tempo runs should be approx. 6:48 pace. If you could drop to 6:40 on your last two, you should have a good workout.

retread

Post by retread » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:03 pm

14 miles on rolling asphalt at just a hair under 8-min pace. Sun was shining brightly with temp at 80 when I finished.

KS - My best 5k, which was less than 2 weeks ago, was at 6:08 pace. Short tempo pace for me is 6:40-6:43 range under Tinman's guidance. I would think that mid 6:30's should feel pretty comfortable for you based on your 6-minute 5k pace.

I think you would benefit a lot by increasing your mileage, btw. I notice that there is a disconnect between your half marathon and 5k paces. You could probably run in mid 1:20's if you added a steady diet of long runs.

ksrunr

Post by ksrunr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks for your replies. my 1:31 was 2 summers ago now and I really just ran it to be running it and really wasn't in shape to do it. I was to run S.D. rock n roll a year ago June but had my first ever injury to cause me to miss a race. I can tell you when I felt the pain, where I was at on the road, but have no idea what happened. No trauma and gradual mileage buildup. The vet put me in a boot for 6 or 8 weeks. Following that I biked only 4-6 miles and ran maybe 1-2 miles at a time once or twice a week gradually building back to 30-35 last Dec. I've run over 1550 miles so far this year and been running 45-50 last 3 weeks. So my base is good. My goal for Nov 5k is 18:30 and I have run 18:49 3-4years ago. Can't remember college times as they were too many years ago and on xc courses but seems low 16's was normal then. Following Phitz's guide this year as I like his gradual buildup of long runs each week to 20, 1 medium long run, and one intensity run. Have used Higdon in past. So tomorrow a warm up; 2 X's 1.5 miles around 6:30 to 6:40 with 3 min rest?, and cool down.

ksrunr