Overtraining/overreaching or just improving?

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

sweeter

Overtraining/overreaching or just improving?

Post by sweeter » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:42 pm

Get this. I’ve been upping the intensity a bit lately. Cv repeats (tues), 10k tempo (thurs) and a long tempo (sun) the other 4 days of the week are spent doing easy 40 mins to an hour (40-60 miles weekly). Anyway, I measure improvements within training by my speed at the same heart rate for the 10k tempo. I try to keep all the variables as similar as possible each week, ie same food, run same time etc. The last four weeks have seen big improvements in my speed at that heart rate. However, the last one I did, it felt like I couldn’t raise my heart rate much higher if I wanted to. Heart rate was lower but speed was higher. Am I being duped? I’ve heard this is a sign of overtraining but it’s usually coupled with poor performance. My performance, at this tempo pace anyway, has actually improved. Anyone else experienced this? I have felt pretty tired this week....

sup03

Re: Overtraining/overreaching or just improving?

Post by sup03 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:42 pm

How many weeks have you've been running this routine?

sweeter

Post by sweeter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:24 am

5 weeks. The only difference from previous routine is the long Tempo. Used to run long and easy..I’ve gotten quicker every week!

FTIR

Post by FTIR » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:35 am

You are almost certainly over training. The question is do you want to win the battle you are describing or the war? You can do better in the battle in many ways. I would look first at either eating slightly differently or accounting for the weather. But there are lots of other possibilities, depending on your age, experience, and fitness.

From 2014, the first thing to check would be: "I guess I was one of the culprits that triggered Tinman's OP...I have had days in the last few weeks where I had "dead legs" and I couldn't run at my normal easy pace, correlated with a very low HR. Tinman correctly diagnosed this as glycogen depletion and it went away after just a day of carb rich food. For me it is really hard to strike the right balance between getting enough fuel but not overindulging."

This kind of thing often happens when you "control all the variables". You start off with a surplus and week after week you build a deficit. The better you are at controlling, the more inevitable the deficit becomes. What "control all the variables" actually means is you are not listening to new feedback from your body.

In terms of the war, I suggest you either read lots more on here or hire Tom. Generally, the problem is you are building similar deficits in every variable you are controlling.

FTIR

Post by FTIR » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:40 am

You are far from alone in building these deficits.

From the same thread in 2014 "For me the tricky thing when I started with Tinman was that he almost cut my mileage in half. So from running 100-120 km per week (overtraining), I started out at 5 hours in end of May/beginning of June, and have worked my way up to 7 hours during the summer. This led to some weight gain, because I guess I ate just as before I started with Tom. So even though I have become much more fit during the summer, while training a lot less, and a thousand times smarter than before,"