Pushing the pace 3 times a week

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

SamH

Pushing the pace 3 times a week

Post by SamH » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:52 pm

I am a 14 year old old runner from the with pbs of 18:17 5k 4:34 1500 2:13 800m . In the UK we have a club system where you have sessions on Tuesday and Thursday and then race or do a parkrun or hill session on Saturday. Apart from that they give you no advice. I do easy runs around this ( a thing I do individually rather than being told by the coach)and then do a long run on Sunday (working up to 75 mins in a few weeks). The coaches expect you to turn up to the 3 fast sessions. In the winter usually Tuesday is a longer road interval session (eg 2 mile on 1 mile off , 2 mile on ) This usually ends up about tempo pace, Thursday is shorter road repetitions with about 8-10 x 300-400m with double the recovery(standing still) and Saturday is a race or parkrun( I usually run this at tempo pace)
I have read the article ‘push the pace 2 times’ and I know this’s isn’t pretty much a key thing in Tinmans philosophy however this seems hard to do in the Uk system.
Is there any way that I could adapt any of the sessions to fit in with a tinman philosophy ?
Maybe I could have 2 more moderate sessions and then one harder session, if so what pace would you class as a moderate session and on which days should I do this on?

Thanks ,
Sam

wuxcalum

Re: Pushing the pace 3 times a week

Post by wuxcalum » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:00 pm

My quick reaction would be to merge your three workouts into two workouts. Tinman, from my understanding, rarely prescribes stand alone race pace style workouts such as 10x400 at mile pace. He usually prescribes an endurance/stamina components plus some lower volume race pace work as a "combo workout". In essence, I am suggesting that you divide up your 10x400 workout and add it to your other 2 workout days. I hope this makes sense.

Here would be a suggestion of something that I would do with my track athletes in the spring during early to mid season training with no race.
Day 1 Long Run
Day 2 Medium Run
Day 3 workout 2x2mile tempo + 5x200 1600 to 800 pace
Day 4 Medium Run
Day 5 Short Run
Day 6 Workout 4x1000 at CV + 5x400 at 3200 to 1600 pace
Day 7 Rest/Short run

mati_king

Post by mati_king » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello, I understand your situation, here it is also culture to train on Tuesday and Thursday on the track and of course compete on Saturday or Sunday.
But you can deal with it and get good results. I suggest you respect the training format but decrease the intensity of them. It can be very effective.
An example of this are those trained under the Nic Bideau system. (Luke matthewz, his pupil has 800m 1’45 ’). And follow a weekly training format such as English (3 x strong or semi-strong workouts), the radical difference in their intensity.
Something practical for your situation would be to do the same workouts that you have been doing but decreasing the intensity, I explain, on Thursday's 400m if the norm is 70 '' / 72 '' it is better to do them at 76 '' or 78 '', it doesn't matter If you go to group queue. The same for the sessions on Tuesday, the long series slowly the rhythm, has to be pleasant / slowly tiring. Also do not compete every weekend, select 1 or 2 races or slopes per month, instead add a longer race, at the same rate as your jogs between sessions but more time, aim for 60 'the first weeks, then 65 'until reaching 75', without hurry.

SamH

Post by SamH » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:29 pm

mati_king wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:55 pm
Hello, I understand your situation, here it is also culture to train on Tuesday and Thursday on the track and of course compete on Saturday or Sunday.
But you can deal with it and get good results. I suggest you respect the training format but decrease the intensity of them. It can be very effective.
An example of this are those trained under the Nic Bideau system. (Luke matthewz, his pupil has 800m 1’45 ’). And follow a weekly training format such as English (3 x strong or semi-strong workouts), the radical difference in their intensity.
Something practical for your situation would be to do the same workouts that you have been doing but decreasing the intensity, I explain, on Thursday's 400m if the norm is 70 '' / 72 '' it is better to do them at 76 '' or 78 '', it doesn't matter If you go to group queue. The same for the sessions on Tuesday, the long series slowly the rhythm, has to be pleasant / slowly tiring. Also do not compete every weekend, select 1 or 2 races or slopes per month, instead add a longer race, at the same rate as your jogs between sessions but more time, aim for 60 'the first weeks, then 65 'until reaching 75', without hurry.
Thank you for your advice. Do I need to make every session slower or just 2?
Sometimes on Tuesdays we do a 9k tempo .What pace should I run the Tuesday session at (5k pb 18:17)?