Threshold Training - help me get this straight

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

BarryP

Post by BarryP » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Is this correct?

Short tempo runs (3-4 miles) at 1hr race pace
Medium and long tempo runs run at slower pace

HOWEVER

break them up into intervals and you can do 6-8 miles at 1hr race pace.

I've learned to get short and simple for Tinman, but for those that may have the time to read on, here's a little background. I USED to run my tempo runs for only 20 minute durations. When I got to college, we'd run them for about 40 minutes. Later in life when I got back into running, I was attempting to run those 40 minute tempos at 1hr race pace. Then I discovered Tinman's, Daniels', and McMillan's pace calculators which showed longer tempos being done a little slower. That worked well last year.

Then I happened to open up Daniels' Formula last night and saw cruise interval workouts that were much longer than 20 minutes in duration. I came back here and read a reply by Tinman also advocating 45 minutes at this pace. This was quite a surprise. I had never really considered the possibility of running longer workouts at this pace.

Thanks for any input. I'm trying to put together next season's plan for a 15K.

road dog

Post by road dog » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

BarryP,
I agree w/ all your comments. I like using 24-minutes for a single Threshold workout @15k pace. I also like using 1-mile, 1.5-mile, and 2-mile Threshold intervals @20k pace (5-8 seconds slower per mile) w/ 1:00, 1:30, and 2:00 recovery.

Sends me a PM, and we can discuss training thoughts, since I usually peak for a 15k in the Spring, and a half-marathon in the Fall.

-road dog

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:28 pm

I take a different stance on training volume and intensity compared to many mainstream coaches. However, there is still a lot of similarity between us. Unlike most coaches, I variy training volume at specific intensities; based NOT on weekly volume but on performance level. I totally disagree with using weekly training volume (mileage) as a reference for setting individual workout volumes. (Just because someone can run 100 miles per week doesn't mean they need to do 5-6 miles of VO2 max intervals. That person may be an 18-minute 5km performer, and he or she'd be thrashed from such a workout.)

For Slow/long Tempo runs, I would give an a 13-13:30 - 5km runner a long warm up and a steady 60-minute Tinman Tempo run, which is about 11-12 miles in length. He might be moderately tired at the end, and therefore able to run a solid workour two days later with no troubles. However, a an 18-minute 5km runner would probably be plenty tired doing a 40 minute TT run (or about 5-6 miles).

Likewise, doing LT2 intervals (about 1 hour race-pace), the elite runner should o about 6-8 miles of reps while an 18 minute runner should do 3-4 miles of reps.

I know my method is non-traditional, but I ask that people judge its value based on the logic and practicality of it.

Have a great day!

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

BarryP

Post by BarryP » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:16 am

"Likewise, doing LT2 intervals (about 1 hour race-pace), the elite runner should o about 6-8 miles of reps while an 18 minute runner should do 3-4 miles of reps."

So a 15:30-16:30 guy should do 4-6 miles?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Yes, a 16:30 to 15:30 runner should do 4-6 x 1 mile at LT2 (1-hour) pace.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Run2dafridge

Re: Threshold Training - help me get this straight

Post by Run2dafridge » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:08 pm

I’m a 43 y/o runner have been back to running for the last few years after a decade of inactivity although I’ve really only been (really) training for 6 months or so. Using Tinman CV’s, tempos and long runs I’ve brought my 5k time down to 18:52 from 21:00.

Could someone explain to me how ‘threshold’ pace applies to Tinman training/workouts? Could threshold pace be used like a shorter, faster tempo run say every other week in place of the TT just for some pace variety?

Thanks in advance!