Tinman coached Andrew Duncan

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

qrkid

Tinman coached Andrew Duncan

Post by qrkid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:09 am

Wow

Andrew just went sub 2:30 (2:29:53) in Chi Town as a 47 year old.
Awesome awesome job.

qrkid

Re: Tinman coached Andrew Duncan

Post by qrkid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:12 am

not only a great time but looks like 2nd master overall as far as I can tell.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 pm

That is an incredible time.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:15 pm

Andrew is very happy about his marathon result. For those of you who are age 40 and over, Andrew is proof that you should never give up. When I started coaching him in 2004, when he was 37 years old, he was a 16:40 (5km) runner who was injured every time his mileage exceeded 45 per week (72.4 km per week). Mostly he was running 40 miles per week, trying to not get injured. Within 3 months of coaching him, I was prescribing 60 miles per week, which he had no problems at all running. Because I slowed him down on easy days, spaced out his quality days, and really fine-tuned the pace and volume on his quality days to make it optimal, he adapted quickly and created a streak of several years without injury. It wasn't until his 7th year that he was injured, and that caused by an odd situation on an airplane when he was flying back from Washington D.C. to Las Vegas.

Andrew kept getting better every year, and by his 4th year was running 80 miles per week without even having to think about it - it was easy for him. Two years ago he told me he wanted to run a half-marathon, his first. I adjusted his normal "5k" training and he ran 71 minutes, placing well in the race. Last year, he decided to run the Las Vegas Marathon, his first try at the distance, at age 46. He did solid 5k-10k training until about 4 months before the marathon, and then I prescribe marathon training for him. He placed 2nd overall in the race in 2:35 and change. On a Chicago Marathon course, in better weather, that was probably at 2:33-32. This year, I trained him through the winter and spring, and they he was busy with work (he's a federal prosecutor) and family (young boys at home). He decided to go it alone, which was okay. I knew he had many years of log books of workouts. He emailed to me last night to say to tell me that I had trained him to a sub 2:30 marathon at age 47. He said that he used all the workouts, mileage, etc. that I prescribed for him for last years Las Vegas Marathon.

Well, I don't know if I really coached him for Chicago, and he's being kind, but I understand his point. I coached him indirectly because he used the training plan I created for him last year. Andrew is smart, and he's asked lots of questions over the years as I've coached him, though to his credit he was always patient about waiting for the results of the training and then he asked retrospective questions, so that he could match what he felt as he did the training that I prescribed with the answers / descriptions of what I did after he had peaked for a big race and we were communicating about the "why" and the "how" of the training plan/schedule. I have always appreciated Andrew's willingness to trust me, to trust the training I prescribed, and step on the line knowing that he was well prepared. That's really a special quality for a runner to have - trust in their coach and faith in the preparation.

In the last 3-4 years, Andrew has won some national masters titles, run 15:15 for 5km, 8:48 for 3000m, 4:24 in the mile, 31:52 for 10km, 71 minutes for the half-marathon and 2:29 and change for the marathon. That's a lot of improvement for someone who had run for 20 years of running before I coached him. He competed in high school and at the university level.

Anyway, my hope for this post is to convince people to keep going after their dreams. Never give up. Be patient, do the right training, and don't rush the process. Understand that smart training beats hard training in the long-term, 9 times out of 10. If you get injured, realize that either two things happened: (1) you trained wrong - you pushed too hard, and (2) running is not easy; you get injured by simple things, like stepping in a hole, sliding on the ice, doing a bunch of house repairs or heavy yard work, and so on. But, get back up on the horse. Keep believing. Get a really good coach to take the mental burden off you from having to plan, think about, analyze, and evaluate training and racing. Stop thinking and start doing! :)

Tinman (Thomas Schwartz)
www.runningprs.com
Last edited by Tinman on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Here is a quote from part of Andrew's email:

"The reason I was able to split so well---1:14:46, 1:15:07---was the big workouts.  Thanks Tom"

It's so fun for me to help runners reach their goals!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Gabe1

Post by Gabe1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:37 am

Very inspiring!