Running again after long break, need advice to my weekly schedule

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

jtt

Running again after long break, need advice to my weekly schedule

Post by jtt » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:32 am

Hi! My first post! I'm 45-years old guy trying to get back into running after a solid 10-years break from the sport. I've been training now for about 7 months and I'm now building my base for next summer masters races (1500m, and maybe some 5k). My long term goal is to be competitive in masters age group 50-54.

This is how my weekly schedule looks at the moment:

Mon: AM: 30-40 min easy, PM: rest
Tue: AM: 4 miles M-pace + some easy running + weights, PM: 45-60 min easy
Wed: AM: 45 min easy, PM: rest/massage
Thu: AM: 45 min easy + drills/sprints + weights, PM: rest
Fri: AM: 60-90 min easy, PM: 30-40 min easy
Sat: AM: 30-40 min easy, PM: rest
Sun: AM: 90-120 min easy with some strong parts

I try to do some strides every now and then, at least I quite often finish my easy runs very fast. My Sunday long runs are quite often difficult, so I tend to break the run with some strong hill run or something like that, to make it less stiff. Quite often I run the last parts of long run quite strong.

In general, I run very slowly, so currently around 55 miles / week. I plan to increase mileage during the winter mostly by adding more easy 30-40 min PM runs. I still have 3-4 slots left. Then the mileage is what it is, and develops over the time.

Once a month, I run a test run in Threshold pace. Based on that, I estimate my current fitness is around 39 minutes flat for a 10k on road. Not bad, because just a year ago I was in a really bad shape... I've come a long way since April, when I started to jog 15 minutes every other day.

Now some questions:

- Should I add another workout to the weekly schedule in addition to Tue AM marathon-pace run? (I'm planning to make it longer during the winter)
- Should I drop weights (I hate them) and do some hill work instead?
- Should I make my AM runs longer instead of doubling? I have currently some issues with doubles, my body is not yet adopted to doubling. I guess it will over the time. At least 10 years ago I was doubling 5-6 days a week without problems.

FTIR

Re: Running again after long break, need advice to my weekly schedule

Post by FTIR » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:42 am

From Tom in 2008 on here:

"Training Tips for Masters Runners

Below are training tips I’ve learned from coaching successful master’s runners, such as Jim Howe (18s for 5k and 38s for 10k races at age 62), Lloyd Hansen, Paul Fendler, Bill Lord, Larry Jones, and Andrew Duncan (2nd in the U.S. Master’s 3,000m championships at the U.S. Olympic Trials in 2008):

1) Run between 50 and 70 miles per week. I've noticed that raising mileage for master's runners is more important than the types of quality (hard) workouts they run.

2) Run hills! Once a week run hill reps in the range of 20 to 40 seconds at 5k to 800m race effort. At the least, run hard on hills once a week during a distance run.

3) Run slowly between key workouts. Avoid the mistake of pushing the pace regularly.

4) (Most every week) Run 1 mile reps at about half-marathon pace or slightly faster. Finish the workout with quick 100m striders!

5) Run enough races to practice the physical, mental and logistics demands of competition. (OR a 3 x workout see below)

6) Switch things up! Run different routes and use training venues that make running seem new and refreshing.

7) Focus on the details. Sleep enough, eat right, wash your hands to avoid illness, and learn to prevent pressures of work, family, and travel from messing up your mind and emotions.

Take care,

Tinman"
and
"Your comment about adding mileage is so very true! If more people would just do that; the results created would be awesome. Until runners pound it through their heads that running at least 1 hour per day is the best way to elevate performance, all the fancy workouts in the world will never help them reach their potential.

Second, you don't have to race twice a month to be successful. You do, however, need to have a "hard" workout every 2 weeks to simulate the demands of racing, which are both physical and mental. Joan Benoit and Ryan Hall are runners who have not raced much, just like many famous Kenyans (like Tergat and Tanui), but they performed race-like workouts often; prior to key races.

A simple workout like 3 x 1 mile fairly hard every 2 weeks will take the place a 5k race. A 3 x workout is my favorite for "testing" my fitness and simulating the stresses of racing. It doesn't matter what race I am aiming for, using the 3 x rep rule of thumb works well. When I want to prep for an 800m race; I run 3 x 400m hard. When I want to prep for a 1 mile race; I'll run 3 x 800m hard. When I want to prepare for a marathon race and need a hard prep workout; running 3 x 5 miles would be my training tool of choice.
- The 3-Times workout is hard enough to simulate race-demands but not so long that a runner becomes "tanked" for days or weeks afterward.

- After a "3-Times workout" it is important to ease back on hard training for a few days. Fitness and performance benefits can be acquired only when sufficient recovery is provided in one's training program.

- The key to integrating "hard" workouts and races into training is running slowly between hard efforts. Is is counter-productive to "take days off." The exception to this rule includes recovering from long races (2 plus hours); recovering from injuries or illness; and, during periods of chronic fatigue.

Note; running a hard workout (or race) every two weeks of the year is unnecessary. However, performing a hard workout (or race) at least every other week in the 10-12 weeks preceding a peak race is necessary."

Between the half marathon pace miles and the 3X workouts you end up with 5 or 6 days a month with longish intervals that you are currently missing if you hope to run 1500-5k races. Don't add them all at once, just slowly turn your 4 miles M pace into those and then add one or two more workouts a month.

jtt

Post by jtt » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:45 am

Okay, thanks. Still wondering are hill repeats a good substitute to weight training?

FTIR

Post by FTIR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 am

Tom's focus on hills deals with the power aspects of running.
I think the need to lift weights has more to do with the rest of your life rather than your training to run fast.
As you go through your late 40s, things you could get away with in your 30s won't be possible anymore.
If you have an office job with lots of sitting and you want to run as seriously as you seem to, you need to do some pretty serious work to keep things in balance.
Weights might not be required but they can be much more efficient than all the calisthenics/dynamic warmup and core you would need.
If you have an active job, you could easily get away with a few body weight exercises targeted to specific problems that pop up.

jtt

Post by jtt » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:41 am

FTIR wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 am
Tom's focus on hills deals with the power aspects of running.
I think the need to lift weights has more to do with the rest of your life rather than your training to run fast.
Very good point, thanks.