1 hour a day for high schoolers

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

SamH

1 hour a day for high schoolers

Post by SamH » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:31 pm

In the final surge podcast with Tinman , it mentions getting all high school athletes up to 1 hour of running a day+ a 90 min long run
Would this be for Freshman and Sophomores as well or just for Seniors/Juniors etc?
If so how would you progress the training of a Freshman who’s running an hour a day or do they just run for the same duration throughout high school? I understand that they will be running faster paces but the training stress will still be the same even though their mileage might increase.

wuxcalum

Re: 1 hour a day for high schoolers

Post by wuxcalum » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:25 pm

I think it really depends on the kid. If they are a dedicated runner, have no major injury history, and run year round, I think reaching 60 minutes a day could be possibly reached within 12-18 months of running which would be as soon as the summer leading into sophomore year. On the other hand, if the runner is not these things, it might take years (if ever) they are able to reach this amount of running. For example, I had a pretty talented Senior this year who ran low 15s for 3 miles who only ran an average of 40 minutes on regular days and 60 minutes for long runs and workout days. The reason I had to do this was because he never committed to year round running until this past summer and it was too risky to push his minutes too high without a consistent foundation of training. On the other hand, I had 3 sophomore girls who have been consistent runners since the summer before freshman year who ran the same amount of minutes or slightly more minutes than that senior boy.

Once reaching the 60/90 minutes goal, the next steps would be to slightly increase the length of workouts, quicken paces (based on fitness level), and start considering adding double runs and/or pool running or other forms of cross training.